Senior Associate, Government Affairs
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking a Senior Associate of state and local government affairs reporting to the senior vice president of government affairs and strategic advancement. In this role, you will be responsible for enhancing and developing strong relationships with lawmakers and key community stakeholders at the state and local level to advance Starry’s policy priorities and business interests.
This role will be based in New York City and safe and socially-distanced attendance in the office (several days per week) is expected and part of our team’s culture.
What you’ll do:
- Outreach & relationship development responsibility in a specific set of cities & states
- Provide government relations support on local issues, providing our operations teams with analysis, guidance and/or support as needed when issues arise
- Perform ongoing tracking of overall government relations activities to identify gaps and demonstrate measurable progress in government relations outreach
- Draft background briefings, perform research on policy and legislative issues and prepare summaries, monitor hearings and legislative activities in multiple jurisdictions
- Work closely with our communications team, & provide support as needed by developing written content for our external blog and for internal communications
- Develop partnerships with key community stakeholders (advocates, nonprofits, CBOs) that will help establish and drive Starry’s government relations presence in a particular market
Our ideal candidate will be:
- Passionate about government affairs. You believe in the power and potential of Starry’s technology to bring affordable broadband choice and competition to the marketplace.
- Well-read, well-informed and passionate about our issues. You geek out on innovative technologies, competition policy, taking on the monopoly incumbents, furthering broadband infrastructure expansion and increasing digital equity and inclusion across our communities.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized. You’re able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and keep those projects on track and execute on deliverables.
- A people person. You enjoy the relationship development process and who understands how to reach critical decision makers and influence them.
- A great communicator. You’re persuasive in writing, in speech and IRL, to both internal and external audiences.
- A true team player. You recognize that our successes are team successes and you support your colleagues by pitching in where necessary and raising your hand to help.
- A good decision-maker. You recognize that this is an external-facing role and you take that responsibility seriously in how the company is represented. You have good judgment and make sound decisions that benefit the company and move us towards our goals.
- Entrepreneurial. You have the ability to self-motivate and problem solve independently and also bring creative ideas on how we engage key stakeholders
- Collaborative. You are able to work effectively with colleagues from across all company functions: marketing, legal, sales, engineering and operations
- 5-7 years of experience working in municipal or state government, working in a technology or telecom policy role, a government relations role or on political campaigns
- Some background, experience or knowledge in real estate
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in political science or communications, or a related area of study
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.